FCC says most requests for funds to replace Chinese telecom equipment are deficient By Reuters


© Reuters. The Huawei logo is pictured in the Manhattan borough of New York, New York, U.S., July 22, 2019. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri

By David Shepardson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) told Congress on Wednesday it had found deficiencies in two-thirds of applications to reimburse U.S. carriers for removing equipment from Chinese companies deemed national security threats.

FCC Chair Jessica Rosenworcel said of 181 applications filed by mostly rural carriers under a $1.9 billion program, 122 were found to be “initially materially deficient.”

The FCC told applicants they have 15 days to fix their applications, and it “expects to complete this process by July 15.”

The FCC currently estimates the cost estimate to remove the equipment from companies like Huawei and ZTE Corp (HK:) from the “rip and replace” program is $5.3 billion, much higher than what Congress set aside.

In July 2021, the FCC voted to finalize the program that had been funded by Congress in December 2020.

The FCC designated Huawei and ZTE as national security threats to communications networks in July 2020 – a declaration that barred U.S. firms from tapping an $8.3 billion government fund to purchase equipment from the companies.

The FCC in December 2020 adopted rules requiring carriers with ZTE or Huawei equipment to “rip and replace” that equipment.

The issue is a big one for rural carriers that face high costs and difficulty finding workers to remove and replace equipment.

Huawei said last year the “FCC initiative only creates extraordinary challenges for carriers in the most rural/remote areas of the U.S. to maintain the same high level and quality of service they provide to their customers without disruption.”

Rosenworcel’s letter noted the FCC “will allocate funding first to approved applications that have 2 million or fewer

customers.”

She said to date “all but one of the eligible

applicants falls within the first prioritization group, and the collective demand of these applicants exceeds available funds for the program.”



Source link

Related articles

7 Excessive-Dividend Shares to Navigate 4 Rising Market Dangers

US indices are falling after final week’s file highs. A number of key dangers elevate considerations that losses may deepen. On this context, dividend-paying shares supply a number of key benefits that shouldn't be ignored. Final...

Tanker buildup at Iran’s Kharg Island reaches post-blockade excessive

(Bloomberg) – Some 23 tankers have been noticed round Iran’s principal oil-export hub, the biggest cluster to have gathered on the island because the U.S. Navy started a blockade on the nation’s ports...

USD/JPY retains erasing intervention losses as macro backdrop stays skewed to the upside

FUNDAMENTAL OVERVIEWUSD:The US greenback prolonged the good points throughout the board as markets are beginning to develop impatient amid the extended US-Iran stalemate and Strait of Hormuz closure. Treasury yields got here into the highlight...

Google to unveil AI breakthroughs at Google I/O 2026 livestream

Google’s annual developer convention, Google I/O 2026, kicks off on Might 19 at...

LG will launch the primary 1000Hz, 1080p gaming monitor this yr

Should you simply can’t select between refresh price and backbone, LG’s subsequent gaming monitor might remedy your downside, because the UltraGear 25G590B monitor is the primary one introduced that will probably be able...
spot_img

Latest articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com